Tuesday, March 10, 2015

This was Something Else



  "There is one problem, that I have to tell you now," Molly went on. "Her parents both died of AIDS. We have no way of knowing whether Abela is HIV positive herself, or is a carrier. She may be. She can't be tested without her parents' consent, and they're dead. I have to tell you this."

  The silence went on forever. I knew exactly what Mum was thinking. I knew a lot about AIDS from television programs and school. I knew that it was a terrible problem, particularly in parts of Africa. What if that little girl is HIV positive? What if she dies of AIDS? To adopt a child and lose her would be more than Mum could bear. But I knew what else she was thinking. To give a chance of happiness to someone in this situation is a rare gift. It doesn't happen very often. I'd heard Mum say that many times. Putting money in a charity box is easy, she says. Taking a bundle of cast-off clothes to Oxfam costs you nothing at all. But this was something else, something big and scary, and something that would affect our lives, forever. And I willed her to say yes. Your mother has so much love to give, Nana had said. Well, so have I. We can do it. We can do it together, Mum. I went and stood behind her, touching her just lightly on the shoulder. It's what she does to me sometimes, when I need a bit of support.

  "Yes," said Mum at last. "I'll come and meet her."

The Girl Who Saw Lions, P232
Berlie Dorherty
ISBN 978-1-59643-377-9






No comments :

Post a Comment