Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I’d Never Counted Steps in My Life




  People don’t understand why we run. It seems so mindless to them. All you do is go around and around the track.

  That’s the funny thing about running. The deceptive thing about it. It may seem mindless, but it’s really largely mental. If the mind’s not strong, the body acts weak, even if it’s not. If the mind says it’s too cold or too rainy or too windy to run, the body will be more than happy to agree. If the mind says it would be better to rest or recover or cut practice, the body will be glad to oblige.

  My mother says I was born a runner; that I entered this world wanting to get up and go. Kaylee, on the other hand, has always hated running. Not because I love it, but simply because she hates it. She tried it a couple of summers ago, but after a week of easy jogs with me, she asked, “When do you stop counting your steps?”

  I didn’t know how to answer that.

  I’d never counted steps in my life.

The Running Dream, p156~157
Wendelin Van Draanen
ISBN 978-0-375-86667-8



shared on My Weekend with Books >>




No comments :

Post a Comment